SUN youth advocacy (sYA)
Hacienda CDC, Multnomah County, and local Portland schools partner together to provide case management to Latino students in middle school and high school. Bilingual and bicultural case managers advocate for students by providing academic support, mentorship, and access to after-school enrichment activities that promote a healthy self-image, cultural pride, academic excellence and community involvement.
- Ensuring Latino middle school students improve academic success and receive support for themselves and their families;
- Increasing knowledge and use of local resources among students and families;
- Supporting parent engagement at local middle schools through meetings and activities promoting participation in their children’s education at home; and
- Providing activities designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program, such as cooking, art and youth employment opportunities.
SYA is currently working with youth and their families at the following schools:
- Beaumont Middle School (6-8)
- George Middle School (6-8)
For more information, or to refer a student to SYA, please contact Jorge Alvarado at (503) 459-3894 or email@example.com