Hacienda CDC, Multnomah County, and local Portland schools partner together to provide case managers to 100 at-risk Latino middle-schoolers. Bilingual and bicultural case managers offer academic and personal support, and access to after-school activities that promote a healthy self-image, cultural pride, academic excellence and community service.
Goals of the program include:
- Ensuring Latino middle school students improve academic success and receive support for themselves and their families;
- Increasing knowledge and use of local resources among students and families;
- Supporting parent engagement at local middle schools through meetings and activities promoting participation in their children’s education at home; and
- Providing activities designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program, such as cooking, art and youth employment opportunities.
Avanzamos is currently working with youth and their families at the following schools:
- Harvey Scott (K-8)
- Beaumont Middle School (6-8)
- Cesar Chavez (K-8)
- George Middle School (6-8)
For more information, or to refer a student to Avanzamos, please contact our Academic Support Coordinators: